Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Reason We Work in Weddings...

I love working with weddings.  People always ask me if I get frustrated with all the bridezillas but it's really not like that.  There are no reality cameras in our store so girls tend to behave themselves.  Every day we get to be part of making some one's dreams come true...we get to see a woman go from excited fiancee to happy wife.  It's the celebration of femininity and the experience of a lifetime that makes this an amazing industry to be part of.

The reason I work here is because of the 4 year old flower girl who comes charging into the store breathlessly telling me in precise detail about the dress she needs:
"It has to be long and white and have a ribbon here and a bow and...it's a dress." (imagine major arm gestures and showing me just where the bow would be placed above her petite derriere.) 


The reason I work here is because I get to help a mom feel beautiful on her daughter's wedding day.  The reason I work here is because I get to see a teenage girl try on her first gown.  The reason I work here is because I get to see life time best friends pick out bridesmaids dresses together.  The reason I work here is because I get to be part of the tearful moment a mother sees her daughter in THE DRESS.  The moment that it becomes real to both of them that they are entering a new phase of life together.

Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of why we work here.  The phone gets crazy, the Internet won't work right, the computer system just REFUSES to make itself easy to use, an appointment is late, and the bathroom is out of toilet paper.  But then I take a deep breath, remember that it is NOT the end of the world, and that I have the honor working to make some one's perfect day a reality.  I remember that we do everything within our power to make sure we've done our job correctly, I remember that even if the scanner refuses to function correctly we can still take a minute to oogle over wedding pictures when a bride brings in her gown for preservation (cause we can handle that for you just FYI).  And then it's all OK and I get to enjoy my job again...and blog...blogging as part of your job is pretty great too. :)

So forgive me for a post with only two pictures, forgive me for the sappy sentiments, but today was the perfect day take a step back and remember how every bride makes this job fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment