Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Grandma's Wedding Gown (and "Bella" from "Twilight"!)

My Grandmother's Wedding Gown



Last week I went to see my family for Thanksgiving and while I was there one of my grandmothers was moving.  I stopped by her house and we were talking about my work...ya know...WEDDING GOWNS.  And she started to tell me about her dress.  I know I've seen it in pictures but then she said, "I had it here."  And I said, "HAD?!?" She replied that she wasn't sure what happened to it!  Gah!



So two days later I'm there again with my Aunts who say, "No, it's here...there it is." AND I GOT TO SEE MY GRANDMOTHER'S GOWN in real life!  I even got to try it on!

She was about 5'10" and was much broader than I am in the ribcage and shoulders.  She also had a more substantial bustline (sigh) so I of course did not fill out the gown.  But I decided to bring it to work, write about it, and tell all of you lovelies the story of my grandma's wedding dress. :)



So, 61 years ago my handsome grandfather and beautiful grandmother got married in northern California.  The wedding was a little bit rushed because they had planned on getting married in the following year but because of circumstances out of their control they said, let's just get married at Thanksgiving!  So they did. :) They got married on November 23rd, 1950 at a church in near Berkley, CA.

Her friend from the church youth group made her gown for her as a wedding gift!  She, her mom, and the friend all agreed that she could not wear white because her coloring wasn't quite right...which I think she was a little disappointed about.  It it a type of poly taffeta, long pointed wrist sleeves, beautiful high neck,, basque, waist, and button detailing.  I think it looks like Princess Aurora's dress!



I know my grandma wore a veil but I have no idea where it is.  So I matched this fingertip satin-edged veil with it and made sure to show off the blusher.


Claire is wearing my grandmother's gown instead of me because 1) she looks better in wedding gowns than I do 2) it fit her a little bit better :)  I'm DELIGHTED to share this gown with you!!  I am hoping to do a whole series of family gowns! I'm really excited to get more of these vintage gowns in here and write about them!  I'm planning to do Pam's dress and I'm thinking that my mom should send me hers... although I doubt that either of their teeny tiny gowns will fit on the mannequin!

The gown most comparable to my grandmother's gown is the "Bella" gown from "Twilight" which is ironic because she and I are not "Twilight" fans...I KNOW I KNOW, don't hurt me!  I just don't really like vampires as much as I like wizards!!

So I put Claire in "Bella" to show you the similarities...


It is a long sleeve charmeuse gown with beautiful buttons at the wrists like my grandma's has.  The skirt is slightly straighter and the train is longer.  The neckline is completely different, but the BACK is amazing!!


These buttons continue ALL THE WAY DOWN the skirt and train!  Check out that lace...uh-may-zing.
It's a beautiful gown for anyone wanting something more sleek with a touch of old elegance.

Such a beautiful back. :)  Claire wears it well!


Happy Wednesday and I hope you are feeling nostalgic and wanting to find your mother's and grandmother's gowns and try them on! Pull out those gowns, girls!  I would love to see pictures of you with your mother's/grandmother's gowns!  If you want to, post them to our Facebook wall mentioning this blog to share the memories with all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment